KaBOOM! The 1,825-HP Bugatti Bolide Is a Thermonuclear Do-It-All Performance Machine

KaBOOM! The 1,825-HP Bugatti Bolide Is a Thermonuclear Do-It-All Performance Machine

If you thought the Bugatti Divo was an impressive track destroyer, take a look at this latest creation, whose name is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as “a big meteor: FIREBALL, in particular: the one that explodes”. Meet the Bugatti Bolide, a race-ready coupe with 1,825 horsepower and a Nürburgring time that puts more deadly rivals to shame. And I hope does not explode.

Okay, so a non-auto racing car explodes with megatons of power when the meteor enters the atmosphere, and this news feels a bit like that, so everything works. For its Bolide, Bugatti has reworked its famous 8.0-liter W16 engine to produce 1825 horses and 1,364 lb-ft of torque. This mill propels the track star to a top speed well in excess of 310 mph, which means it combines the athleticism (and more) of the Divo with the top speed heroism of the Bugatti. Chiron (again, and more). According to the automaker, the Bolide completes the famous’ Ring lap in 5:23.1 minutes, making it extremely fast. It’s just behind the lightning-fast Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo, a full-fledged racing prototype, and well ahead of any production hypercars that currently lag in the upper six-minute range.


































All of these atmospheric exploding performance statistics are made possible with the help of four new turbochargers. These units include special blades that help increase boost pressure and power at high speeds. The Bolide features air-to-air intercooling with a water pre-cooling configuration to further enhance the power of the turbos.

It also helps that the Bolide comes in with a dry weight of just 2734 pounds, giving it an insane power-to-weight ratio. To keep the car light and balanced, Bugatti says it used a special carbon monocoque with monofiber tensile strength seen only in the aerospace industry. Further weight reductions were made to the drive system. A lightweight pushrod suspension system and magnesium wheels complete the package.

Bugatti also presents a unique roof shovel. When the Bolide is driven at low speed, the surface of the excavator is smooth. At higher speeds, bubbles emerge to reduce the aerodynamic drag of the excavator by 10%. The resulting downforce is 3,968 pounds at the rear wing and 1,764 pounds at the front assuming a speed of about 200 mph.

->

The Bolide’s low proportions were inspired by the X planes of yesteryear, particularly the Bell X-1 which exceeded the speed of sound under the command of Chuck Yeager. As for the paint job, Bugatti looked at its own history. Around 40% of the car is painted in a reinterpretation of the French Racing Blue color, while the remaining 60% is bare in visible carbon.

And now for the final explosion: this is all fantasy. Bugatti has not made a decision on whether to put the Bolide into production in series. Hope this is the case. We can all use another escape in today’s uncertain world.

The KaBOOM station! The 1825 HP Bugatti Bolide is a performance all-rounder thermonuclear machine that first appeared on MotorTrend.

Content Protection by DMCA.com